February 18, 2018 Shop Log

  • Continuing to progress on the CEIA Magnetometer Storage Dollies
  • The slow part to the whole process is the cutting of the yokes…
  • Only 5 more stacking pallets to construct…
  • While waiting for the Shapeoko to finish its cutting job, I worked on the Loading Dock Video Patch Panel, cutting out the inner mounting plate on the Muse Laser Cutter and Engraver.
  • The finished product looks promising.
  • Last visit, I finished the installation of dust collection system on the X-Carve CNC Router.
  • During my reconfiguration of the X-Carve in Easel, to accept the dust shoe, I found myself stuck on setting up the Z-Axis Probe. Easel takes you through the setup process step-by-step, not allowing you to continue on until you complete the current task. The first step was to plug in the Z-Axis Probe, which I did and immediately instructed me to attach the clamp to the spindle collet. This is where I got confused, because the next grayed out instruction was touch the touch plate to the collet. However, when I touched the collet with the touch plate, nothing happened. I rebooted the computer, I reinstalled the X-Controller firmware and Easel driver software, I checked the continuity of the circuit, and I still could not move forward. Then I finally realized that the “attach the clamp to the collet” was a button that had to be pressed after clamping the collet. Idiot.

January 21, 2018 Shop Log

  • Now the X-Carve was put to the task of cutting out the main sign…
  • I painted the Jedi Challenges visor shelf and the bottom lightsaber Holder…
  • I decided to make the lightsaber blade holders from acrylic cut on the Muse Laser Cutter and Engraver.
  • The layout of the sign elements looked good.
  • I applied the first coat of chalkboard paint to the main sign.
  • The bracket to hold the Jedi Challenges Tracking Light was printed.
  • Another addition to the MakerCave Art Gallery…

January 9, 2018 Shop Log

  • Not feeling so well today.
  • The Shapeoko was put to work cutting out foam mount backers for Amphitheater Concession TV mounts. The mounts are being hung on a split-faced block wall, which is rough and uneven. The foam backer is to “even” out the mounting surface.
  • The Stacker 3D Printer was working on printing out some more spray can rack mounts, to get MakerCave better organized.
  • I worked on setting up operating systems on SD cards for two new Raspberry Pi Security Camera.
  • I flipped on the Muse Laser Cutter nd Engraver for a pushed software update. It hasn’t come through yet.
  • The MakerCave iMac is also undergoing updates.

December 29, 2017 Shop Log

  • Tomorrow is McKenzie’s birthday, and we are holding a Star Wars: The Last Jedi movie party. Using the Muse Laser Engraver and Cutter, I made some birthday swag.
  • Of course, all the machines had to be in use. The Shapeoko cut two more set of CEIA Magnetometer Storage Dolly Yokes while I worked on the birthday swag project.
  • The Stacker 3D Printer was put to the task of printing up some spray can holders as I work at organizing the shop.
  • Jill asked for some stickers for the bags of the girls McKenzie invited over for a sleepover tomorrow night, so I obliged. For awhile, I was struggling to get my cutting software (Easy Cut Studio) to connect to my GCC Expert 24LX Vinyl Cutter. Then I discovered that it helps to reference the correct machine in the settings – GCC Expert 24LX, not GCC Expert II 24LX.
  • I also worked on setting up an old Raspberry Pi Model B to run xcarve-server, and my iMac to run xcarve-proxy. It allows me to communicate to the X-Carve wirelessly through the Raspberry Pi rather than a computer wired directly to the X-Controller. Courtesy of Adafruit.
  • Another addition to the MakerCave Art Gallery…

December 10, 2017 Shop Log

  • It has been a while since I have been able to putter in the shop.
  • I worked on aligning the mirrors in the K40 Laser Engraver and Cutter. I found an alignment tool on Thingiverse and 3D-printed it out awhile back.
  • I also ordered some 2mm balsa wood for targets, which I cut out on the Muse.
  • After aligning the mirrors, I performed a test engraving of Spider-Kid. The Harbor Freight dust collection blower I am using vibrates the K40, which moves the work piece. I had to hot-glue it to the bed. I will need to rethink exhaust venting.
  • In order to improve prints on the Stacker 3D Printer, I made an enclosure from PVC pipe and moving blankets.
  • Another addition to the MakerCave Art Gallery…