Tomorrow is McKenzie’s birthday, and we are holding a Star Wars: The Last Jedi movie party. Using the Muse Laser Engraver and Cutter, I made some birthday swag.
Of course, all the machines had to be in use. The Shapeoko cut two more set of CEIA Magnetometer Storage Dolly Yokes while I worked on the birthday swag project.
The Stacker 3D Printer was put to the task of printing up some spray can holders as I work at organizing the shop.
Jill asked for some stickers for the bags of the girls McKenzie invited over for a sleepover tomorrow night, so I obliged. For awhile, I was struggling to get my cutting software (Easy Cut Studio) to connect to my GCC Expert 24LX Vinyl Cutter. Then I discovered that it helps to reference the correct machine in the settings – GCC Expert 24LX, not GCC Expert II 24LX.
I also worked on setting up an old Raspberry Pi Model B to run xcarve-server, and my iMac to run xcarve-proxy. It allows me to communicate to the X-Carve wirelessly through the Raspberry Pi rather than a computer wired directly to the X-Controller. Courtesy of Adafruit.
This year, I printed out the popular 3D-Printed Advent Calendar by pleppik, which I have done in past years. However, I made this year’s twice as large. A challenge was a large enough print bed to print out a double-sized Day 25. Thank goodness for the Stacker…
I also started assembling a new addition to the MakerCave, an Inventable’s X-Carve.
Meanwhile, the Shapeoko continues to work on, cutting another set of yokes for the CEIA Magnetometer Storage Dollies.
It has been a while since I have been able to putter in the shop.
I worked on aligning the mirrors in the K40 Laser Engraver and Cutter. I found an alignment tool on Thingiverse and 3D-printed it out awhile back.
I also ordered some 2mm balsa wood for targets, which I cut out on the Muse.
After aligning the mirrors, I performed a test engraving of Spider-Kid. The Harbor Freight dust collection blower I am using vibrates the K40, which moves the work piece. I had to hot-glue it to the bed. I will need to rethink exhaust venting.
In order to improve prints on the Stacker 3D Printer, I made an enclosure from PVC pipe and moving blankets.