I finished painting the dog silhouettes and names and applied finishing wax to walnut backing boards.
I continued to cut out dog silhouettes out of 1/4” walnut stock on the FSL Muse: an English Bulldog, Brittany Spaniel and Golden Retriever. Then I worked on the dog names, using Wishline font I found on dafont.com.
In preparation for our trip to Hawaii next week, I created these custom stoppers out of scraps of thin stock walnut I had left over. After ashes of Jill and Koda are placed inside April Angels, these stoppers will be glued over the bottom hole to keep the ashes inside.
I also needed to start working on Mary Kilway’s order for custom dog leash holders. Before too long Christmas will be here, I need to get them finished with plenty of time to be shipped to their appropriate parties.
I also did some experimenting with different materials other than wood, such as acrylic and card stock, for the dog shape.
However, there remained a strong preference for wood.
I started working on a fly rod rack to sell on Etsy.
I am trying to make it so that it is easily can be easily assembled and disassembled for easy shipping. The idea is that the buyer would bolt the uprights to the bottom and top trout to make the rack. I need to figure out how to proper install the brass thread inserts into the uprights. Tomorrow’s project.
Much of making is about trial and error, especially when you are trying new things, and most of the time it is most about errors. Inlays were no different.
Originally I thought I could have the rounded, bar and wording as one piece. However, the fitting of the inlay was too tight, and I ended up destroying the raised lettering trying to press in the inlay.
Also the single piece inlay didn’t account for the counters of the D in MIND and A and P in GAP. The counters that cut by the X-Carve were too small and damaged. I would have hand-cut something to fit.
The final reason not use a single piece was for easier customization of the wording in the bar. Rather than inlaying the wording and dealing with the counters of some the lettering, I decided to raise the lettering. Separating the top and bottom arcs from the center bar would make this so much easier.