St. Catherine of Alexandria Breaking Wheel

This morning, while getting ready for school, McKenzie, my 11-year-old daughter, informed me that she need a breaking wheel for her saints school project by this afternoon. Of course, I had no idea what she was talking about, so she Googled an image of a breaking wheel for me. After some additional Googling, I settled up this image as the basis of my design:

Now I had to take this raster image and make it into a vector art, and here is where Inkscape came in to the rescue. I imported the raster art into Inkscape:

Then I opened Trace Bitmap under the Path menu:

And ran the trace:

Now I wanted out a cutting template, so I had to get rid much of the detail of the trace by deleting many of the interior nodes. I eventually came up with this:

Then I imported this SVG vector art into Inventable’s Easel web app:

I loaded a 26″x26″ sheet of 1/2″ MDF and let the Shapeoko do its work:

Ignore the timestamp. I forgot to reset the camera clock.

I rounded the rough edges with a trim router and a rounding bit and then added some cable clips to represent spikes on the breaking wheel. Hopefully, McKenzie will be impressed.

October 29, 2017 Shop Log

  • Using SketchUp, I created a mounting board for my Monoprice Select Mini 3D Printer. I control this printer with an OctoPi inside this enclosure I found on Thingiverse, and wanted something that would make it easy to move it around. I elevated the OctoPi in order to get a better view of the print bed with the attached Logitech C270 webcam. This is what I came up with.
  • With the design finished, I place a piece of 3/4” MDF onto the bed of the Shapeoko and cut out my design.
  • Well the Shapeoko worked, I worked on cutting more pieces for the CEIA Magnetometer Storage Dollies on the table saw.
  • Also I started another artwork on the QuickDraw Bot…
  • I neatly routed all the cable under the board, and the end result turned out well.
  • Groot Kid added the MakerCave Art Gallery.

October 15, 2017 Shop Log

  • I had some fun with the Muse today. I discovered a living hinge generator website and made up a quick box.
  • I then worked on some more image engraving on the Muse.
  • I completed another CEIA Magnetometers Storage Pallet.
  • The Stacker 3D Printer is printing a K40 Laser Cutter Mirror Alignment Tool.
  • And another addition to the MakerCave Gallery…

October 3, 2017 Shop Log

  • Well, with the help of tech support, I isolated the issue with the Muse Laser Cutter and Engraver to a bad secondary power supply.
  • I continued working on the CEIA Magnetometers Storage Dollies. I decided to use eyebolts rather than D-rings because of space constraints with the new wheel boards.
  • I cut another pair of yokes with the Shapeoko.
  • I also started another print job on the Stacker.

October 1, 2017 Shop Log

  • I realized that we lost some detail in the initial print of the Mirror of Erised. I changed a setting in Simplify3D to allow single layer walls to be printed.
  • I also modified two illuminated Exit Signs for temporary canopy tent installations. I added a Edison tail for AC power and a switch to turn off the backup battery when not used.
  • I worked on the CEIA Magnetometer Storage Dollies. I redesigned the wheel board to be narrower and not include stacking storage yokes.
  • This required me to include a single battery storage box onto the Stacking Pallet.
  • Well, the Muse took a shit today. The touchscreen will not turn on and is blank. The machine is a dud. I noticed the issue beginning to rear it ugly head over the last couple of cutting sessions, but a power cycle seemed to resolve the issue. Now that doesn’t work…

September 24, 2017 Shop Log

  • Today is one of those rare days when I have the opportunity to run all three of my fabricators at once: the Shapeoko, the Stacker and the Muse.
  • The Shapeoko cut another set of yokes for the CEIA Magnetometer Storage Dolly.
  • The Stacker is printing out a filament dispenser for my Deltaprintr.
  • The Muse is engraving a architectural drawing of some of the Portland Willamette River crossing bridges.
  • While waiting for the big three to finish, I sewed up a few more feed bags for Classy.
  • The feed bag design was inspired by sandwich bags. For durability, I used poly tarps with this simple layout.
  • I wired up this 12-volt LED flood light for one of my solar recharging stations.
  • Another addition to the MakerCave Gallery…

August 28, 2017 Shop Log

  • I worked on mounting brackets for the next solar recharging station. Instead of being mounted to square perforated tube, this station will be mounted to a round solid tube. I used the Shapeoko to cut out the (4) pieces for the mounting blocks, two pieces per block. I glued the two pieces together. For better hold on the round tube, I cut a 5° angle on the mounting surface to the second half of the French cleat.
  • I did some more experimentation with the FSL Muse Laser Engraver and Cutter. More trout with A River Runs Through It quotes…
  • Did a trash and recycling run.
  • Allowing the solar recharging station catch some last rays of sun…