January 31, 2016 Shop Log

  • Last night, Jill and I won the fourth grade class auction project, and it is on temporary exhibit at MakerCave.

    On temporary exhibit at MakerCave…

  • I drilled a 2″ hole in the table top of the Electronics Workspace and slipped in the Tankstation into place. Now I can charge my electronic devices to my heart’s content. 
  • I made another electronics tool caddy for my larger tools that wouldn’t fit in the first tool caddy.

    Larger Electronics Tool Caddy

  • I managed some additional improvements on my Printrbot Simple Metal base, like this swing arm for the Raspberry Pi.

    Raspberry Pi Swing Arm in the Closed Position

    Raspberry Pi Swing Arm in the Open Position

  •  I also added a small storage box.

    Small Storage Box on Printrbot Simple Metal Base

  • Too often, when doing an annual event, you often just throw things immedaitely back into storage until the next year and forgot get about any problems or issues. Here is my attempt not to do that. The attachment apparatus for the light string support poles to the hotel tables is not very stable. We have been taping or zip-tying the mounts to the table legs. For next year, I would like to make a clamping mechanism, which would be more stable.

    Redesign Notes for the Mounting of Poles for Light Strings for OLL Auction

January 29, 2016 Shop Log

  •  Last night, I sketched up a design for the water flow pressure sensor and then printed it out on the Printrbot Simple Metal. Unfortunately, I didn’t make the inside of the mount high enough and had to file away material in order to accommodate the sensor. For the future, I modified the SketchUp model by increasing the height by 2 millimeter from 32mm to 34mm.

    Water Flow Pressure Sensor Mount Installation

  •  Originally, I had planned to bolt the mount to the floor of the electronics cavity next to the laser power supply, but the mount was pretty and protected and could be left freestanding. Perhaps I will velcro it in place, but it works as is.

    Water Flow Pressure Sensor Mounted Inside the K40 Laser Engraver and Cutter

  • After work, I stopped in to look for my misplaced Leatherman. I hate when I do that, and no, I didn’t find it.
  • While there, I decided to hook up the Tekpower Digital Multimeter DT9602R to the Ubuntu Linux Laptop at the Electronics Workspace. Sorry, no photos. I forgot to take some. 
  • Luckily the laptop is old enough to have a serial port, so no need for a Serial-to-USB adapter. However, the enclosure around the computer end of the cable obstructed the end from being able to be plugged in. Luckily, it can be easily removed, and the cable could now be plugged in. Another design opportunity for the 3D printer.
  • I was also having difficulty connecting to the multimeter with the QtDMM software. However, I fixed that issue by running the program with the sudo command.
  • I need to research how to open the serial port to all users and QtDMM doesn’t need to ran under sudo.

January 28, 2016 Shop Log

  • I remembered to bring the crimpers back to MakerCave and finished the wiring for the K40 Laser Engraver and Cutter water flow sensor. I attached the female connectors to the water sensor and the ferrules to the WP (Water Protect) terminal and the Ground terminal for Laser1.

  • I entered the Manufacturer Parameters by pressing the Stop Button and then the Shift Button.

  • Then I entered Laser Parameters…

  • I changed Laser1 Water Protect setting from Close to Open.

  • I unplugged the water pump, turned on the K40 and pressed the Laser button. It works!

  • I also verified that the K40 works when the water pump is running.
  • Next create a mount for the water flow sensor…

January 26, 2016 Shop Log

  • While cleaning MakerCave, I made an assessment of the scrap materials available and made this wire spool holder for the electronics workspace.

  • I grabbed some measurements of the water flow sensor and sketched out a mount.

  • I installed the tee on the water cooling inlet for the K40 Laser Engraver and Cutter. I turned on the water pump to check for leaks and heard the activation of the switch in the sensor, a good sign.

  • In preparation of updating the firmware on my Deltaprintr, I installed Arduino IDE 1.0.6 and the other necessary libraries on the electronics workspace laptop. I was able to successfully able to compile the stock firmware.

  • While at it, I also installed QtDMM on the electronics workspace laptop, which allows me to read and record the readings from my TekPower DT9602R Multimeter.

  • I managed to clean off one work surface.

  • I managed to gather several dust piles around the shop.

January 25, 2016 Shop Log

  • Placed the water flow sensor inside the K40 Laser Engraver and Cutter

  • Ran the tubing from the water flow sensor out the back through a pre-existing hole. The tee fitting will be installed in the inlet tube, and water will then flow to the water flow sensor.

  • Made a wiring for the water flow sensor to the laser controller. I forgot my crimpers at work, so I still need crimp the female connectors to the wiring.

  • Repurposed a Linux laptop for the electronics workspace to access the Internet for reference and access the USB microscope to examine circuit boards

  • Completed my electronics workspace tool caddy